1) What do I need in order to buy real estate in Brazil?
You only need a tax id number, known in Brazil as CPF (Cadastro de Pessoa Fisica) for individuals or CNPJ (Cadastro Nacional de Pessoas Jurídicas) for corporations.

2) What documents are necessary in order to apply for a CPF?
You only need a passport and a birth certificate.

3) What else can I utilize my CPF for?
To open bank accounts, open corporations, create credit history, file income tax, etc.

4) Can I open a bank account?
Yes, but only if you have a CPF and legal residency in Brazil (permanent visa). Only a few foreigners managed to open and maintain bank accounts in Brazil while living abroad.

5) Am I obligated to file an income tax return if I have a CPF?
Not necessarily, only if you have assets in Brazil or make a certain amount of money per year.

6) Do I need an attorney to open a corporation?
Yes, by Law an attorney is required to sign off the Articles of Incorporation.

7) Do real estate properties that I already bought qualify me for an investment visa?
No, real estate bought in the past by you, as an individual, does not qualify you for the investment visa; prior registration is required before transferring the money to Brazil.

8) Can I marry or divorce via Power of Attorney (by proxy) ?
Yes, you can marry and also divorce via power of attorney, without even being in Brazil.

9) Can a foreign corporation own real estate and operate in Brazil?
Yes, foreign companies can operate and own assets in Brazil.

Disclosure: This reflect current Legislation (as off September of 2013), which can be changed at anytime by the Brazilian Governmental.

(1-786) 513-1655 - USA

(55-11) 3323-1998 - Brazil
(305) 940-6615 - USA


EUA - 16137 Biscayne Boulevard
Miami, FL, 33160

Brazil - Avenida Paulista, 777, 15 Andar,
São Paulo, SP, 01311-100, Brazil.

Copyright © lawofficeinbrazil.com.br
Todos os direitos reservados.
By Mesa de Mkt